TNPSC GROUP IIGENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND GENERAL ENGLISH
SYLLABUS AND BOOK LIST
Dear Friends and Aspirants TNPSC going to publish notification for Group2a and other examination in this year as per the annual planner. In this document am updated syllabus and what the books to be followed for the examination.
- Try to Score 90 Plus questions in general English. 70 plus questions in general studies. But your ultimate aim should be get 180 plus question correctly (Recent Group IV Trend. But the scoring of 180 plus is depend upon the standard of question).
- Complete school Text book first. After completing school books you may refer for additional reference but don’t depend coaching material. You can use coaching material for revision only.
- Some people may advise you should study 10 hours a day but you don’t bother about it. The study time varies person to person some person study only 4 -5 hour per day , another may study 7- 8 hour per day but the time of study is not important effective study only decides our success.
- Approach your preparation based on the prescribed syllabus and previous year question paper. If possible paste the syllabus in front of your study place
- Many people collect various institute materials but they never use. So collect selective notes.
- Give more importance to the subject in the following order, 1. General Tamil/ English/ 2. Aptitude 3. Current Affairs 4. Polity 5. Basic Gk. 6 Modern India. All Subjects are important but above mentioned subjects covers more than 150 questions.
- Other than School book you should read Arihant or Lucent General Knowledge book to score 15 question. Because many people just read school book they are not sound in Fundamental knowledge. This portion decide your top rank.
- How we studied? what we studied it doesn’t ensure success. In Last 3 hour Examination time only decide our success. To avoid silly mistake take mock test in your place using shakthi or Sura Question Bank
Universe‐General Scientific laws‐Scientific instruments‐Inventions and discoveries‐ National scientific laboratories‐Science glossary‐Mechanics and properties of matter‐Physical quantities, standards and units‐Force, motion and energy‐electricity and Magnetism ‐Heat, light and sound‐Atomic and nuclear physics.
- 6 to 10 School books
- Physics portion in Arihant or Lucent GK Book
- 12thStd Physics Unit no 6 and 8 refer Basic topics only
Elements and Compounds‐Acids, bases and salts‐Oxidation and reduction‐Chemistry of ores and metals‐Carbon, nitrogen and their compounds‐Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides
- 6 to 10 School books
- Chemistry portion in Arihant or Lucent GK Book
- 11thStd Chemistry 8 ( Study Nitrogen Related only) and 17 and 18 units
- 12thStd Chemistry 21 and 22 units alone
Main Concepts of life science‐The cell‐basic unit of life‐Classification of living organism‐‐‐Nutrition and dietetics‐Respiration
- 6 to 10 School books
- 11th Botany unit no , 2,4,7 only
- 12th Botany unit no 3,4,6 alone
Blood and blood circulation‐Endocrine system‐Reproductive system‐Genetics the science of heredity‐Environment, ecology, health and hygiene, Bio‐ diversity and its conservation‐Human diseases, prevention and remedies‐Communicable diseases and non‐ communicable diseases
- 6 to 10 School books
- Zoology portion in Arihant or Lucent GK Book
- 11th Std 3rd unit only
- 12thstd 1,4,5,6 units only.
Latest diary of events – National‐National symbols‐Profile of States ‐Eminent persons & places in news‐Sports & games‐Books & authors ‐Awards &honours‐Latest historical events‐‐ India and its neighbours‐ Appointments‐who is who?
Problems in conduct of public elections‐ Political parties and political system in India‐ Public awareness & General administration ‐ Role of Voluntary organizations & Govt.,‐ Welfare oriented govt. schemes, their utility
Geographical landmarks‐Policy on environment and ecology
Current socio‐economic problems New economic policy & govt. sector
Latest inventions on science & technology Latest discoveries in Health Science Mass media & communication.
- TNPSC Portal ( From March they are daily updating in English)
- iya.competitiveexam.in ( before 20 days of Exam will be uploaded)
- GK Today
- Newspaper ( the Hindu)
- you can’t follow more than one source so kindly follow any of the above one
Earth and Universe‐Solar system‐Atmosphere hydrosphere, lithosphere‐Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate‐Water resources ‐rivers in India‐Soil, minerals & natural resources‐ Natural vegetation‐Forest & wildlife‐Agricultural pattern, livestock & fisheries‐ Social geography – population‐density and distribution‐Natural calamities – disaster management.
- 6 to 1oth School book
- Geography portion in Arihant or Lucent GK Book
History and culture of India South Indian history
Culture and Heritage of Tamil people‐‐Advent of European invasion‐ Expansion and consolidation of British rule‐Effect of British rule on socio‐economic factors‐Social reforms and religious movements‐India since independence‐Characteristics of Indian culture‐ 41 Unity in diversity –race, colour, language, custom‐India‐as secular state‐Organizations for fine arts, dance, drama, music‐Growth of rationalist, Dravidian movement in TN‐Political parties and populist schemes‐ Prominent personalities in the various spheres – Arts, Science, literature and Philosophy – Mother Teresa, Swami Vivekananda, PanditRavishankar , M.S.Subbulakshmi, Rukmani Arundel and J.Krishnamoorthy etc.
INDIAN NATIONAL MOVEMENT
Early uprising against British rule‐1857 Revolt‐ Indian National Congress‐Emergence of national leaders‐Gandhi, Nehru, Tagore, Netaji‐Growth of militant movements ‐Communalism led to partition‐Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle ‐Rajaji, VOC, Periyar, Bharathiar& Others‐Birth of political parties /political system in India since independence.
- 6 to 10 Social Science ( History Portion , Except 9th History Because World history not in syllabus)
- 11 and 12th History book
- If you want more fact kindly refer to Arihant or Lucent
Constitution of India
Preamble to the constitution‐ Salient features of constitution‐ Union, State and territory ‐ Fundamental rights‐ Fundamental duties‐ Human rights charter‐ Union legislature – Parliament‐ State executive‐.State Legislature – assembly‐ Status of Jammu & Kashmir‐. Local government – panchayat raj – Tamil Nadu‐ Judiciary in India – Rule of law/Due process of law‐ Indian federalism – center – state relations‐ Emergency provisions‐ Elections ‐ Election Commission Union and State‐ Amendments to constitution‐ Schedules to constitution‐ Administrative reforms & tribunals‐ Corruption in public life‐ Anti‐corruption measures – Central Vigilance Commission, lok‐adalats, Ombudsman, Comptroller and Auditor General of India‐ Right to information ‐ Central and State Commission‐ Empowerment of women.
- 6th to 1o School book civic portion
- 12th political Science book
- Arihant or Lucent GK book polity portion
- (Some people may say Lakshmikandh must be studied but they never completed Lakshmikandh )
Nature of Indian economy‐ Five‐year plan models‐an assessment‐Land reforms & agriculture‐ Application of science in agriculture‐Industrial growth‐Role of public sector & disinvestment‐ Development of infrastructure‐ National income Rural welfare oriented programmes‐ Social sector problems – population, education, health, employment, poverty‐ HRD – sustainable economic growth‐ Economic trends in Tamil Nadu ‐ Energy Different sources and development‐ Finance Commission ‐ Planning Commission‐ National Development Council.
- 11th Indian Economy 1 to 10 units
- 12th Economy last 2 units ( fiscal and monetary policy)
- Arihant or Lucent GK book Economy portion
APTITUDE & MENTAL ABILITY TESTS
Conversion of information to data‐‐Collection, compilation and presentation of data Tables, graphs, diagrams‐Analytical interpretation of data ‐Simplification‐Percentage‐Highest Common Factor (HCF)‐Lowest Common Multiple (LCM)‐Ratio and Proportion‐Simple interest‐Compound interest‐Area‐Volume‐Time and Work Decision making and problem solving‐Logical Reasoning‐ Puzzles‐Dice‐Visual Reasoning‐Alpha numeric Reasoning‐Number Series‐ Logical Number/Alphabetical/Diagrammatic Sequences.
- School books
- Practice old question paper
SYLLABUS – GENERAL ENGLISH
- Match the following words and Phrases given in Column A with their meanings in Column B.
- Choose the correct ‘Synonyms’ for the underlined word from the options given
- Choose the correct ‘Antonyms’ for the underlined word from the options given
- Select the correct word (Prefix, Suffix)
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Article
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Preposition
- Select the correct Question Tag
- Select the correct Tense
- Select the correct Voice 1
- Fill in the blanks (Infinitive, Gerund, Participle)
- Identify the sentence pattern of the following sentence (Subject, Verb, Object….) Blanks with correct ‘Homophones’
- Find out the Error (Articles, Prepositions, Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb)
- Select the correct sentence
- Find out the odd words (Verb, Noun, Adjective, Adverb)
- Select the correct Plural forms
- Identify the sentence (Simple, Compound, Complex Sentense)
- Identify the correct Degree.
- Form a new word by blending the words
- Form compound words (Eg: Noun+Verb, Gerund+Noun)
- Figures of speech observed in the following Poems:
Alliteration – Allusion – Simile – Metaphor – Personification – Oxymoron – Onomatopoeia – Anaphora – Ellipsis – Rhyme Scheme – Rhyming Words – Repetition – Apostrophe A Psalm of Life – Women’s Rights – The Nation United – English words – Snake – The Man He Killed – Off to outer space tomorrow morning – Sonnet No.116 – The Solitary Reaper – Be the Best – O Captain My Captain – Laugh and Be Merry – Earth – Don’t quit – The Apology – Be Glad your Nose is on your face – A sonnet for my Incomparable Mother – The Flying Wonder – To a Millionaire – The Piano – Manliness – Going for water – The cry of the Children – Migrant Bird – Shilpi.
- Appreciation Questions from Poetry
A Psalm of Life – Women’s Rights – The Nation United – English words – Snake – The Man He Killed – Off to outer space tomorrow morning – Sonnet No.116 – The Solitary Reaper – Be the Best – O Captain My Captain – Laugh and Be Merry – Earth – Don’t quit – The Apology – Be Glad your – Nose is on your face – A sonnet for my Incomparable Mother – The Flying Wondr – To a Millionaire – The Piano – Manliness – Going for water – The cry of the Children – Migrant Bird – Shilpi.
- Important lines from Poems.
Where the mind is without fear – The Solitary Reaper – Going for water – A Psalm of Life – Be the Best – Sonnet No.116
- Questions on the Biography of
Mahatma Gandhi – Jawaharlal Nehru – Subash Chandra Bose – Helen Keller KalpanaChawala – Dr.Salim Ali – Rani of Jhansi – Nelson Mandela – Abraham Lincoln
- Questions on Shakespeare’s
Merchant of Venice (Act IV Court Scene) – Julius Ceasar (Act III Scene 2) – Sonnet 116
- Questions from Oscar Wilde’s-The Model Millionaire – The Selfish Giant
- KarlPaulnack Music-The Hope Raiser
- Comprehension Questions from the following Motivational Essays:
Gopala Krishna Gokhale’s Speech on 25th July in Mumbai in response to The address presented to him by students- Dale Carnegie’s ‘The Road to success- Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam’s ‘Vision for the Nation’(from‘India 2020’) – Ruskin Bond’s ‘Our Local Team’ – Hope Spencer’s ‘Keep your spirits high’ – DeepaAgarwal’s ‘After the storm’ – Brian patten’s ‘You can’t be that no you can’t be that’
- Comprehension Questions from the following description of Places AhtushiDeshpande’s ‘To the land of snow’ – ManoharDevadoss – YaanaiMalai – Brihadeesvarar Temple
- British English – American English
Part-C Authors and their Literary Works
- Match the Poems with the Poets
A psalm of Life – Be the Best – The cry of the children – The Piano – Manliness Going for water – Earth -The Apology – Be Glad your Nose is on your face – The Flying Wonder -Is Life But a Dream – Be the Best – O captain My Captain – Snake – Punishment in Kindergarten -Where the Mind is Without fear – The Man He Killed – Nine Gold Medals.
- Which Nationality the story belongs to?
The selfish Giant – The Lottery Ticket – The Last Leaf – How the Camel got its Hump – Two Friends – Refugee – The Open Window
- Identify the Author with the short story
The selfish Giant – The Lottery Ticket – The Last Leaf – How the Camel got its Hump – Two Friends – Refugee – The Open Window – A Man who Had no Eyes – The Tears of the Desert – Sam The Piano – The face of Judas Iscariot – Swept Away – A close encounter – Caught Sneezing – The Wooden Bowl – Swami and the sum.
- Whose Auto biography / Biography is this?
- Which Nationality the Poet belongs to ?
Robert Frost – Archibald Lampman – D.H. Lawrence – Rudyard Kipling Kamala Das – Elizabeth Barrett Browning – Famida Y. Basheer – Thomas Hardy – Khalil Gibran – Edgar A. Guest – Ralph Waldo Emerson – Jack Prelutsky – F. Joanna – Stephen Vincent Benet – William Shakespeare – William Wordsworth – H.W. Long Fellow – Annie Louisa walker – Walt Whitman – V.K. Gokak.
- Characters, Quotes, Important Lines from the following works of Indian Authors:
SahityaAkademi Award winner: ThakazhiSivasankaranPillai – ‘Farmer’ Kamala Das – 1. Punishment in Kindergarten 2. My Grandmother’s House R.K. Narayan – Swami and the sum – Rabindranath Tagore – Where the mind is without fear – DhanGopalMukherji – Kari, The Elephant – DeepaAgarwal – After the Storm – Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam – Vision for the Nation IndraAnantha Krishna- TheNeem Tree – Lakshmi Mukuntan- The Ant Eater and the Dassie – Dr. NeerajaRaghavan – The Sun Beam
- Drama Famous lines, characters, quotes from Julius Caesar – The Merchant of Venice
- Match the Places, Poet, Dramatist, Painter with suitable option
- Match the following Folk Arts with the Indian State / Country
- Match the Author with the Relevant Title/Character
- Match the Characters with Relevant Story Title
The Selfish Giant – How the camel got its hump – The Lottery ticket – The Last Leaf – Two friends – Refugee – Open window – Reflowering – The Necklace Holiday
- About the Poets – Rabindranath Tagore – Henry Wordsworth Longfellow – Anne Louisa Walker -V K Gokak – Walt Whitman – Douglas Malloch
- About the Dramatists 50 William Shakespeare – Thomas Hardy
- Mention the Poem in which these lines occur Granny, Granny, please comb My Hair – With a friend – To cook and Eat – To India – My Native Land – A tiger in the Zoo – No men are foreign – Laugh and be Merry – The Apology – The Flying Wonder
- Various works of the following Authors – Rabindranath Tagore – Shakespeare – William Wordsworth – H.W. Longfellow – Anne Louisa Walker – Oscar Wilde – Pearl S. Buck
- What is the theme observed in the Literary works? Snake – The Mark of Vishnu – Greedy Govind – Our Local Team – Where the mind is without fear – Keep your spirits high – Be the best – Bat – The Piano – The Model Millionaire – The Cry of the Children – Migrant bird – Shilpi
- Famous Quotes – Who said this?
- To Which period the Poets belong William Shakespeare – Walt Whitman – William Wordsworth – H.W. Longfellow Annie Louisa Walker – D.H. Lawrence
- Matching the Poets and Poems Discovery – Biking – Inclusion – Granny, Granny, please comb My Hair – With a Friend – To cook and Eat – Bat – To India – My Native Land – A tiger in the Zoo – No men are foreign – Laugh and be Merry – Earth – The Apology – The Flying Wonder – Off to outer space tomorrow morning – Be the best – Is life, but a dream – Women’s rights – The Nation united – English words – Snake – The man he killed
- Nature centered Literary works and Global issue Environment and Conservation Flying with moon on their wings – Migrant bird – Will Thirst Become – Unquenchable? – Going for Water – Swept away – Gaia tells her.
- 6 to 12th School books
- For Grammer portion refer wren and Martin book
- Previous TNPSC General English Question paper.( don’t go any other books ) For practice shakthi publication book available.
QUESTION DISTRIBUTION (From Old Question paper Analysis)
|SUBJECT||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS|
|POLITY||10 – 12|
|HISTORY & NATIONAL MOVEMENT||12-18|
|GENERAL SCIENCE||20- 25|
|MENTAL ABILITY & APTITUDE||25|
|GENERAL TAMIL / ENGLISH||100|
TNPSC GROUP II & IIA CLASSSES / TEST BATCH/ ONLINE TEST
CLASSES STARTS FROM MAY FIRST WEEK
CLASS – 10,000
TEST BATCH – 2000
ONLINE TEST BATCH – 1200
WEEK DAYS & WEEKEND BATCH AVAILABLE
TEST AVAILABLE FOR
GENERAL TAMIL ,GENERAL ENGLISH , GENERAL STUDIES